Thank you for visiting my corner of the interweb! My name is Krystal, and while I don’t generally fit labels well, others refer to me as a hippy, which I’m proud to embrace. I love to laugh, sing, love, dance, read against a tree, swim in the ocean and all around be happy. John Lennon isn’t the only one that wanted to be happy when he grew up. It’s a goal that so many people forget to think of when reaching for the stars, and I believe it’s one of the most important things to focus on.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” ~John Lennon
- Who I am
- How Bohemian Alchemist was seeded
- What is a “Bohemian Alchemist”?
- What I can offer
- Licences, qualifications and certifications
Bohemian Alchemist is all things me. It reflects who I am, my aspirations and lifestyle. I love nature. I want to keep the earth safe and minimize my own environmental impact. I love to find the connections in everything, and try to help people in any way that I’m able. I have a sense of spirituality that I keep to myself, but it often seeps into the work I do which I will never apologize for or try not to do. It’s just who I am and what I do, and I have every intention of overfilling my own cup so much that it flows into yours, too. I want to share every loving moment I can with anyone who wants to join me! I want to help you to realize your potential and balance general mental and physical health and wellness, which sometimes starts within. Or at the bottom. Or at the top. Everyone has a different story to share, and I want to know yours. With that information, I can work with you to find balance, whether in the heart, mind or soul.
I am a certified aromatherapist and am currently enrolled with the West Coast Institute of Aromatherapy for the clinical level certification. While I am something of a hippy and have my spirituality, I also have a huge love of science. I love watching reactions, connections and changes in all things – people, chemistry, weather, seasons – there’s science in all things, as well as love, lessons and relationships.
While Bohemian Alchemist is mostly a one-woman show, I have the expert and full love and support of my husband, David. He is extremely patient with my ability to sneak in and rub lovely smelling products on him so he smells like a walking apothecary, but he has found that I have been keeping this skill a secret for the entire time he has known me. Who knew he had married a ninja? (The trick is to sneak in while he’s playing video games!)
We work extremely well together and make an amazing team no matter what we are doing (unless it’s renovations). When I say, “I’m thinking I might do this” David has learned to simply agree, since no matter what, he knows I’ll find a way to do it once my mind is set on it.
As a young adult, I did not know what I wanted or what I wanted to be. Any answer I wanted to give was not generally accepted by my peers and, like any kid, I just wanted to fit in. I went through high school with no real direction of where I was going. A few years later, after working various retail jobs, I thought about getting more serious about a career. I really wanted to help people, but wasn’t sure what the best fit was. I attended the Academy of Learning in Edmonton and received a Medical Office Assistant diploma as a stepping stone to nursing. It ends up, I’m not a nurse. Five years working in various departments on a casual basis and part time in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit was enough for me to know that it wasn’t a good mix. I moved to Wetaskiwin with my husband in 2007, where I began working at a veterinary clinic in hopes of becoming a technician and starting a breeding program for small geckos and serpents. It was quite a big change, but it ends up it wasn’t that big of one after all. Animals and people have their differences, but also so many similarities. Sadly, it also was not a great fit. I jumped on a completely different track then, and tried dispatching and then welding. I LOVED welding, and believe it would have been a successful and happy career, if it fit our lives a bit better. However, neither my husband nor I were willing to rehome our loving dogs, and the hours for both of us to be away were unfair for them. After much discussion, math and thinking, we made the difficult decision for me to stay home. This choice was the beginning of a series of events that would take me down a rabbit hole which I am forever grateful I fell down.
One of my new fixations was a subject that I had always tried to follow. I wanted a healthy lifestyle. I was once an avid runner, however due to a severe knee break in 2009, my activity levels plummeted. The affects of this incident are still obvious to this day, and I needed to make some changes. I wanted to get away from some of the toxic substances in foods and cleaners. I had also been suffering from different allergies and discomfort for quite some time, and I was able to focus on that and find out the cause of the symptoms that were plaguing me. I also had many run-ins with physicians. While I respect and admire the amount of knowledge they have, I was not ready to so easily accept the medications they wanted me to make part of my routine, as each one had questionable and unfavorable side effects that I wanted to try to avoid. The majority of issues came from synthetic foods and fragrances, so I began making my own. I made fruit roll ups with our dehydrator, picked my own apples and raspberries and herbs. I made my own granola bars. I made my own soap and moisturizers. I ended up loving it, so I made more and gave some away. The effect of this was outstanding. People wanted more, and I loved making custom products for them. I was loving what I was doing.
A year later, Bohemian Alchemist was born.
Bo·he·mi·an (n.) /bōˈhēmēən/
- a native or inhabitant of Bohemia, which is the westernmost area of the Czech Republic . I get asked many times if I’m from Bohemia. While I personally am not from Bohemia, my grandmother, whom I idolized for her fairness and kindness when I was little, was Romanian, which is a hop, skip, and jump from the Czech Republic. Despite gypsies having a terrible reputation in the Romanian culture, I like to embrace the sense of freedom and individuality they often represent.
- a person who has informal and unconventional social habits, especially an artist or writer. I am not embarrassed to admit that I do not always follow etiquette, and am perfectly happy doing what I do. I love casual, fun environments where everyone can be themselves without worry of judgement, and try to ensure that I can offer a kind, caring and open-minded environment for my clients.
synonyms: nonconformist, free spirit
al·che·mist (n.) /ˈalkəməst/
- a person who practices alchemy. Alchemy itself has quite a rich and diverse history for anyone who endeavors to look into it. The goal of alchemy was to purify, mature and perfect certain objects. To some, this meant physical objects. To others it meant the search for immortality and/or physical health. And to others yet, it was the transformation of the self. Alchemy plays an important role to the development of chemistry and modern medicine, however, and the basic work performed by both philosophical and protoscientific individuals has led to many amazing modern advancements that would not be possible without ancient alchemical practices.
- a person who transforms or creates something through a seemingly magical process. This takes on several meanings to me, personally. While it’s fun to combine scents and oils to make skin care and aromas that are highly delectable, this has also been a term used to reflect my own image. People undergo many transformations in their lives to become the person they are, and I am no exception. I have, however, taken steps to become the person I WANT to be, instead of simply who I am. While life can take us in many directions, we do have some control over where we go and who we become, and I do not believe in making excuses for who I am. If something needs to change, then I take the steps needed to become the person I want to be, instead of making excuses for who I am.
While I will continue to create lovely bath and body care products, my focus over the course of the last few years has shifted. After speaking at a woman’s conference in Wetaskiwin in 2016, I began offering basic aromatherapy workshops and have found that this is where my heart lies. I feel that the internet can have so much to offer, but find that the offerings are more often than not confusing and sometimes even downright harmful. It is so easy to share knowledge, but knowledge is often twisted, reworded and misinterpreted to be used for malicious or selfish purposes that only help the author excel, but can be damaging to the reader. It’s this problem that has shifted my focus to YOU. I love to answer questions and to help people be better to themselves.
The tiniest of ripple can create the biggest waves, and I want to send of ripple of positive effect and knowledge into the world starting with YOU. I want to know you, and to hear your story and how you want to improve yourself. Making a positive change in the world starts there, at the self, and I want to help you focus on that first, so you can help to make a better world. One you at a time.
In order to help you make the best you there is, I’ve had to make the best me there is! Of course, I’m always trying to make a better me, because there’s always a better me to be made. I’d love to be able to take this journey together, as the knowledge I gain I’m happy to share. My aromatherapy consultations have been created with you in mind, however. There are often such small details in our routines and self care that are overlooked, and the most basic tweak may create a series of cause and effect to find a healthy balance. Are you feeling unmotivated, sad or unfocused? Have you been having a hard time sleeping? Do you have dry, irritated skin? While modern medicine may help diagnose and treat symptoms, I want to get to the root of the problem to help prevent it from happening again. I want to help you achieve your goals naturally.
I have gone the extra step to ensure quality. I want to know that the information and products I offer can be backed by quality, are fair for all involved and reduce waste and overall environmental impact. I do not test my products on animals, and as I do not encourage or support these practices I do the best I can to ensure that the raw ingredients used follow the same practice. I use fairly traded, organically grown ingredients, local when possible. Please see the list below of the benefits of Bohemian Alchemist, and the certifications and groups I have chosen to be a part of in order to improve your experience.
- Certified Cruely free
- Certified aromatherapist
- certified Sacred Medicine Woman
- BLS First Aid/CPR certification
- criminal record check performed every year
- sources organic and sustainable ingredients
- compliant with Canada Health regulations and Good Manufacturing Practices
- Under the tutelage of an excellent and recognized aromatherapy instructor
- up to date with news and frequent webinars from NAHA, AIA, Aromaweb and Canada Health, as well as other opportunities that arise
- requires Certificates of Analysis and GC/MS reports for all essential oils
- member of NAHA, PDOM, CCIC, HSCG, AHA, NHPC
- student of WCIA, IDA
- strives towards earth-friendly packaging solutions
- maintains operating license
- full commercial liability and medical malpractice insurance
That’s enough about me, however. It’s time I learned about you. Please contact me to learn more about aromatherapy consultations!
Follow a bit of behind-the-scenes! Come join me on my adventure!