Welcome, and thank you for visiting my little corner of the interweb! I love to laugh, sing, love, dance, read against a tree, swim in the ocean and all around be happy. John Lennon isn’t the only one that wanted to be happy when he grew up. It’s a goal that so many people forget to think of when reaching for the stars, and I believe it’s one of the most important things to focus on. This is my own focus, too, and one that I want to help others achieve.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” ~John Lennon
- Who I am
- How Bohemian Alchemist was seeded
- What is a “Bohemian Alchemist”?
- What I can offer
- Licences, qualifications and certifications
Bohemian Alchemist is all things me. It reflects who I am, my aspirations and lifestyle. I love nature. I want to keep the earth safe and minimize my own environmental impact. I love to find the connections in everything, and try to help people in any way that I’m able. I have every intention of overfilling my own cup so much that it flows into yours, too. I want to share every loving moment I can with anyone who wants to join me! I want to help you to realize your potential and balance general mental and physical health and wellness, which sometimes starts within. Or at the bottom. Or at the top. Everyone has a different story to share, and I want to know yours. With that information, I can work with you to find balance, whether in the heart, mind or soul.
I love nature. I also love science. I love watching reactions, connections and changes in all things – people, chemistry, weather, seasons – there’s science in all things, as well as love, lessons and relationships.
While Bohemian Alchemist is mostly a one-woman show, I have the expert and full love and support of my husband, David. He is extremely patient with my ability to sneak in and rub lovely smelling products on him so he smells like a walking apothecary, but he has found that I have been keeping this skill a secret for the entire time he has known me. Who knew he had married a ninja? (The trick is to sneak in while he’s playing video games!)
We work extremely well together and make an amazing team no matter what we are doing (unless it’s renovations). When I say, “I’m thinking I might do this” David has learned to simply agree, since no matter what, he knows I’ll find a way to do it once my mind is set on it.
As a young adult, I did not know what I wanted or what I wanted to be. Any answer I wanted to give was not generally accepted by my peers and, like any kid, I just wanted to fit in. I worked in various positions trying to find my purpose. It wasn’t until we made the difficult choice for me to stay home due to our personal situation that something finally clicked. This choice was the beginning of a series of events that would take me down a rabbit hole which I am forever grateful I fell down.
One thing led to another, but it was the strong need to live healthier that prompted action to finally do it, instead of just wanting to. I started making everything from scratch, from lunch snacks to soap and healing balms. I loved it, and the positive effects were apparent in very short time.
A year later, Bohemian Alchemist was born. I have worked hard on my own personal and mental health and wellness, which has also helped to grow the business aspect. I’m working to expand my knowledge base to provide an overall wellness service to those looking for something better than just an easy pill to swallow that masks health problems, but doesn’t always fix them.
Bo·he·mi·an (n.) /bōˈhēmēən/
- a native or inhabitant of Bohemia, which is the westernmost area of the Czech Republic . I get asked many times if I’m from Bohemia. While I personally am not from Bohemia, my grandmother, whom I idolized for her fairness and kindness when I was little, was Romanian, which is a hop, skip, and jump from the Czech Republic. Despite gypsies having a terrible reputation in the Romanian culture, I like to embrace the sense of freedom and individuality they often represent.
- a person who has informal and unconventional social habits, especially an artist or writer. I am not embarrassed to admit that I do not always follow etiquette, and am perfectly happy doing what I do. I love casual, fun environments where everyone can be themselves without worry of judgement, and try to ensure that I can offer a kind, caring and open-minded environment for my clients.
synonyms: nonconformist, free spirit
al·che·mist (n.) /ˈalkəməst/
- a person who practices alchemy. Alchemy itself has quite a rich and diverse history for anyone who endeavors to look into it. The goal of alchemy was to purify, mature and perfect certain objects. To some, this meant physical objects. To others it meant the search for immortality and/or physical health. And to others yet, it was the transformation of the self. Alchemy plays an important role to the development of chemistry and modern medicine, however, and the basic work performed by both philosophical and protoscientific individuals has led to many amazing modern advancements that would not be possible without ancient alchemical practices.
- a person who transforms or creates something through a seemingly magical process. This takes on several meanings to me, personally. While it’s fun to combine scents and oils to make skin care and aromas that are highly delectable, this has also been a term used to reflect my own image. People undergo many transformations in their lives to become the person they are, and I am no exception. I have, however, taken steps to become the person I WANT to be, instead of simply who I am. While life can take us in many directions, we do have some control over where we go and who we become, and I do not believe in making excuses for who I am. If something needs to change, then I take the steps needed to become the person I want to be, instead of making excuses for who I am.
While I will continue to create lovely bath and body care products, my focus over the course of the last few years has shifted. After speaking at a woman’s conference in Wetaskiwin in 2016, I began offering basic aromatherapy workshops and have found that this is closer to where my heart lies. I feel that the internet can have so much to offer, but find that the offerings are more often than not confusing and sometimes even downright harmful. It is so easy to share knowledge, but knowledge is often twisted, reworded and misinterpreted to be used for malicious or selfish purposes that help the author excel, but can be damaging to the reader. It’s this problem that has shifted my focus to YOU. I love to answer questions and to help people be better to themselves.
The tiniest of ripple can create the biggest waves, and I want to send of ripple of positive effect and knowledge into the world starting with YOU. I want to know you, and to hear your story and how you want to improve yourself. Making a positive change in the world starts there, at the self, and I want to help you focus on that first, so you can help to make a better world. One you at a time.
I can offer a variety of services to help you gain control over whatever situation you are looking for help with. You are the driver of this seat, but I’ll help plan the trip to get you to your destination safely. Skin care, meditation, mindfullness, a shift in perception, achieving goals, finding your purpose, alleviating anxiety – the list is extensive. If you want to find a healthy, happy balance in your life and you’re not sure where to start, I may have an idea. I’d love to be able to take this journey together, as the knowledge I gain I’m happy to share. My aromatherapy and wellness consultations have been created with you in mind. There are often such small details in our routines and self care that are overlooked, and the most basic tweak may create a series of cause and effect to find a healthy balance. Are you feeling unmotivated, sad or unfocused? Have you been having a hard time sleeping? Do you have dry, irritated skin? While modern medicine may help diagnose and treat symptoms, I want to get to the root of the problem to help prevent it from happening again. I want to help you achieve your goals – naturally.
I have gone the extra step to ensure quality. I want to know that the information and products I offer can be backed by quality, are fair for all involved and reduce waste and overall environmental impact. I do not test my products on animals, and as I do not encourage or support these practices I do the best I can to ensure that the raw ingredients used follow the same practice. I use fairly traded, organically grown ingredients, local when possible. Please see the list below of the benefits of Bohemian Alchemist, and the certifications and groups I have chosen to be a part of in order to improve your experience.
Courses and Certifications
- Aromatherapy 101 (West Coast Institute of Aromatherapy)
- Aromatherapy 201 (Underway – West Coast Institute of Aromatherapy)
- YTT 200 (Underway – Prana Yoga Studio)
- Medical Assisting Professional (Academy of Learning)
- Hydrosol Encounters (School for Aromatic Studies)
- Healthcare Professional – Basic Life Support CPR/AED (National CPR Foundation)
- Sacred Medicine Woman (Sacred Living University)
- Reiki Master (Usui Ryoho Reiki)
- Mindfulness Practitioner
- NLP Practitioner
- Life Coach (Transformational Services>
- 10 Steps to an AwesomeSauce You!
- The Herbal Alchemist’s Course
- The Science of Happiness
- The Skinny Thinking Thought Diet
- Masterful Living
- Cruelty-free (Leaping Bunny Organization)
Groups and Organizations
- member of National Association of Holistic Aromatherapy
- Leaping Bunny Organization
- Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild
- Alberta Herbalist Association
- Natural Health Practitioners of Canada
That’s enough about me, however. It’s time I learned about you. Please contact me to learn more about wellness services available!